Image Source: Express
Inflammation is defined as a human body’s response to pathogens in a localized area. It helps in protecting the body against infections and injuries. It is a very complex process which involves different immune cells, clotting of blood etc. The immune cells and nutrients rush to the injury site and cause inflammation. Usually, it is associated with redness of the skin, pain and swelling.Anti-Inflammatory foods help in reducing chronic inflammation. Inflammation, in general, is a desirable process but its excessis referred to as chronic inflammation leading to malfunctioning of the immune system. It is a highly undesirable process and is associated with major chronic diseases like cancer, obesity and heart diseases.
Which food should be taken to avoid chronic inflammation?
In order to avoid chronic inflammation, it is recommended to eat nutritious foodsespecially those rich in antioxidants and vitamins. These foods have a high nutrient density.
Here are 5 anti-inflammatory foods which are not only easily available but also, easily affordable:
- Herbs: Likeleafy vegetables, Herbs contain a huge amount of phytochemicals, antioxidants, and vitamins. Phytochemicals are known for fighting diseases. Also, herbs can be grown easily as they don’t require fertile soil. They can grow even during winter and droughts. Most of the herbs also have antibiotic properties. On top of that, it doesn’t add a single calorie to your diet!
- Spices: Some of the most commonly used Spices are ginger, cinnamon, garlic, oregano, and turmeric. These have been in use, especially in India for centuries. These spices, apart from adding taste, color and flavor to the food have huge health benefits. These can be ground and then mixed with fruit juices to increase nutritional content. Most of these also have medicinal properties and form the base of Ayurvedic therapy.
- Non Citrus Fruits& Vegetables: Fruits like blueberries have much larger antioxidants than other fruits and vegetables. Also, it has less sugar content than others. Other such fruits include raspberries, papaya, and apricots. These fruits have a strong color due to the presence of disease-fighting phytochemicals. Some of the vegetables possessing antioxidants are spinach, cauliflower, sweet potatoes and broccoli.
- Tea: Tea, especially Green tea possesses 10 times more antioxidants than blueberries. It is one of the most hygienic beverages available. It not only provides antioxidants but also helps in brain functioning as it contains caffeine. It also boosts the metabolism of the body and subsequently helps in burning fats.There are many other benefits which make it nothing less than an elixir.
- Olive Oil: Use of olive oil instead of vegetable oil in cooking can give you many health benefits. It contains not only antioxidants but also hydrating squalene, which is excellent for skin and hair. Thus, it also finds its use as a beauty product.