Image source: youtube
Summer are a harsh time for our body. We lose a lot of water in sweats. The best foods for such a climate are the ones which contain a lot of water and are refreshing. Here’s what you need to eat to be able to keep cool:
- Curd: Curd is a great food option during summer. It not only refreshes you completely, it is also a probiotic, which means that it provides you with the “good” or helpful bacteria that aid in keeping your digestive tract functional. You can add it to a salad, make desserts with it, or even us it in a dip!
- Coconut water: Coconut water is one of those inexpensive items that are laden with benefits. Along with the cooling effect, it is full of essential minerals and electrolytes that your body needs so much. And then there exists research that coconut water might even help fight cancer. And it has anti-aging properties. Need we say anymore?
- Watermelons and Melons: Another great option. These delicious fruits are full of water. They also have a lot of antioxidants that help you fight the dangerous free radicals which can damage your cells. However, never buy sliced watermelon from the roadside vendors. It carries the risk of diarrhea with it.
- Cucumber: This cool vegetable has lots of fiber. This helps keep constipation at bay. And it makes for an amazing companion with food.
- Mint: This inexpensive and readily available herb is a favorite. It can be used in drinks, raita, chutneys or dips - endless options. Even though it does not bring down the body temperature, we love it because of its refreshing
- Green vegetables: These are always beneficial. But during summer, they help a lot because of their high water .They also provide a lot of fiber and some minerals. Make sure you don’t overcook them, because that can cause a loss of the water and nutrients contained.
- Onions: These have amazing cooling properties, and are extremely versatile. You can add them to your food in any form you like. The red onions are very rich in a type of anti-allergen called quercetin. Eating lots of onions also provides protection against sunstroke.
- Lemon: This simple fruit is not only cooling, it also has a lot of health benefits. Drink it or add it, it’ll help pass those sweltering summer
- Corn: Fresh sweet corn is one of the amazing things of summer. In fact, corn has two antioxidants that form a macular pigment which filters out the harmful rays of the sun. it also prevents macular degeneration- the leading cause of blindness in people over 60.
- Tomatoes: A great source of carotenoids, tomatoes protect your skin against sunburns.
- Cherries, Blueberries and Raspberries: They not only provide you with the much needed antioxidants, they even help you lose fat. What else does someone need from a fruit?
- Iced Coffee and Iced Tea: Loaded with antioxidants + tasty = best summer beverage ever.