Image source- stylecraze
Mosquitoes are not only a nuisance but their bites can even cause serious diseases like- Dengue, yellow fever, malaria, encephalitis, and Nile virus to humans and animals. There are many essential oils, known for being excellent natural insect repellents, but citronella oil is best mosquitoes repellent. Citronella oil is a natural insect repellent, especially for mosquitoes. Citronella is oil that can be obtained of different species of lemongrass.
- Citronella lotion- A lotion is basically an emulsion of water and oil. Here are a number of different bug repellents on the market, but many of them have harmful chemicals that you really don’t want to absorb into your blood stream. You can purchase any mosquito repellent lotion which contains citronella oil. Whenever you go outside or go to bed then rub this lotion directly on your body and cover up with soft cloth.
- When to re-apply- The disadvantage to natural repellents is that they do not stay effective as long lasting. Many chemical insect repellents are good for hours. It is recommended that citronella repellents be reapplied every 30 to 60 minutes. So we should always repeat rub with citronella oil or citronella contains product like- sprays, lotions, candles and all that in every thirty minutes.
- Increasing Effectiveness- One way to increase the effectiveness of your homemade citronella spray or lotion is to add essential oils from another plant identified to repel insects. For increasing effectiveness in your home made mosquitoes repellent just mix some drops of citronella oil and other essential oils for more effectiveness.
- Spay on bites- Make a spray-on repellent by combining citronella essential oil with a liquid base. Here are a number of different insect repellents on the market, but many of them have harmful chemicals that you really don’t want to absorb into your blood stream. There are many sprays in market or you can make sprays at home mixing of essential oil and olive oil. You can Purchase and mosquito repellent sprays from any organic online shopping website or from local stores.
- Citronella Candles- An option for keeping mosquitoes out of your garden is to light citronella candles around the space. Citronella oil is one of the most used natural insect repellents. This oil can be found in variety of mosquito repelling products such as scented candles, lotions, sprays, even wristbands and collars and many other products. Citronella candles are specifically designed for outdoor.
- Warning about citronella- Here is some risk of allergic reactions to citronella. Whenever trying a new repellent, apply a small amount to a spot on your arm in advance. If you feel any rash and irritation then remove it instant. If it feels most irritation them rinse off with water you feel relieve. Do not use citronella oil to pregnant women because Citronella oil because of it can increase the heart rate. So avoid citronella oil to pregnant women.
- Grow citronella plant- As the outdoor season approaches, many homeowners and outdoor enthusiasts look for ways to control mosquitoes. Known for its distinct smell, citronella grass is the most commonly used natural ingredient in mosquito repellents. The citronella plant has a much stronger aroma than other mosquito repellents that contain citronella, so it is a great choice. Citronella plants thrive best in full sun and areas with good drainage. Citronella plan growth is very beneficial for mosquito or insect repellent. You can crush the leaves of citronella plant and directly rob on your body. This oil can be placed directly on the skin to act as a mosquito repellent.