Image Source: Pecsma
Honey and health:
Commonly known as liquid gold, honey is one such sweetener which is recommended by doctors all across the globe. They can be used to sweeten up your green tea, in cakes and pastries and an overall substitute for white sugar. They have an upper hand to other natural sweeteners such as cane sugar and jaggery. Here’s why:
- Memory booster: Everyone’s on the lookout for natural foods that sharpen your memory. In such a scenario comes honey to the rescue. The large number of antioxidants present in honey helps it restrict any cellular damage in the brain. Also, for those whose intellectual strength is weak due to hormonal changes as in the case of postmenopausal women, honey helps boost their memory as well. Honey also absorbs calcium from the food that you intake. This calcium is used to process thoughts and in decision making.
- Energy booster: One of the many health benefits of honey is that it gives instant energy when consumed. Honey contains glucose and fructose in high percentages. The unprocessed fructose and glucose directly enter the blood stream and thus act as an energy source. Apart from this, honey contains significant amount of minerals such as zinc, magnesium and iron.
- Sleep aid:Honey is said to cause a rise in the insulin levels. This in turn activates a neurotransmitter called serotonin. This neurotransmitter is responsible in relieving stress in the body and also helps lighten up your mood. In the body, serotonin is converted to melatonin. Melatonin is a chemical compound which improves the quality of sleep.
- Fights allergies: Another health benefit of honey is that it effectively fights seasonal allergies. Honey is said to contain small amounts of pollen which acts as a natural vaccine and makes the body trigger an immune response which produces antibodies to fight the pollen. When repeatedly exposed to this, the body builds up antibodies and thus produces less histamine in case of future allergies.
- Healthy digestive system: Honey is anti-bacterial in nature which helps prevent any stomach infections. It is also said to be a cleansing tonic and thus promotes bowel movement and cures constipation. A spoonful of honey and lemon juice in water can work wonders for your digestive system.