Adding Whole black chana dal to your daily diet can reverse the changes that occur in the blood vessels due to high blood pressure. Chana dal is rich in Vitamin B and fiber that helps to control blood sugar levels and reduce bad cholesterol. It is also a good source of potassium and folic acid. A potassium-rich diet lowers high blood pressure, boosts your energy and keeps you active. This tangy and creamy chana dal yogurt gravy is a good remedy for hypertension.
Serves size: 2-3
- 1/2 cup organic whole black chana dal
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 2 green chili peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoon chickpea flour / gram flour/ besan
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak organic whole black chana dal in water.
- Leave it overnight or for about 8 hrs.
- Drain the water and pressure cook or boil the soaked chana dal with salt in 2 cups of water.
- If you pressure cook, wait for 7-8 whistles or till it turns soft.
- Drain and reserve the water for to mix it with the gravy later.
- Mash the cooked chana dal slightly and set it aside.
- Take a bowl and add yogurt and all the dry spice powders.
- Add salt and chickpea flour.
- Mix well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add oil.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Then add green chilli peppers and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the yogurt mixture and the reserved water.
- Mix well and keep stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Check the seasonings and adjust according to your taste.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the gravy thickens to your desirable consistency.
- Turn on the heat and serve.
This delectable gravy is best as an accompaniment with steaming hot organic red rice or flat breads.