Sesame oil obtained from sesame seeds is a vegetable oil that is used for cooking purposes as well as because of its health benefits. Sesame oil is very easy and inexpensive to extract especially from ripe sesame seeds and this is one of the main reasons of its increasing popularity. Sesame oil is perhaps the healthiest cooking oil which is available these days. Sesame oil has a variety of nutrients including minerals and vitamins and thus has powerful and health effects on the body as well as the skin.
What nutrients does sesame oil contain?
Sesame oil contains the following nutrients and thus is considered very healthy.
- Vitamin B6
These nutrients grant sesame oil the properties that help it fight various diseases and promote health.
The health benefits of sesame oil
- Promotes hair health: Sesame oil is known to improve health of the hair. It helps to darken the hair color and even prevents hair loss. Sesame oil has anti- bacterial properties that kills any pathogens that damage the scalp and thus makes the hair stronger.
- Promotes skin health: Sesame oil contains high quantity of zinc that is one of the most important minerals that promotes skin health. Zinc increases the elasticity of the skin and even smoothen it. Sesame oil removes dark spots and prevents premature aging. Sesame oil also protects the skin from various disorders. Sesame oil can even be used as a sunscreen that protects the skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Promotes heart health: Sesame oil is a rich source of poly-unsaturated fatty acids like sesamol and sesamin. These lower the cholesterol levels and ensure a strong heart. Consumption of sesame oil lowers the ricks of heart attacks as well thus promoting heart health.
- Prevents cancer: Sesame oil contains an organic compound called phytate which prevents the risk of cancer. Magnesium in sesame oil reduces the risk of colorectal cancer. Calcium content in sesame oil prevents from colon cancer.
- Improves circulation and metabolism: Copper is essential for the body to produce red blood cells. Sesame oil has a high content of copper and this ensures that the body maintains a sufficient flow of blood. Copper and zinc in sesame oil together work to improve the metabolism of the body and give a healthier body.
- Promotes bone growth: Sesame oil contains a good amount of copper, zinc and calcium which are important for the bone growth in the body. The consumption of sesame oil ensures that the bones grow and develop in a healthier manner. Sesame oil also ensures that bones heal and re-grow quickly in case of injuries. The consumption of sesame oil also helps avoid osteoporosis and other bone related problems.
- Overcomes anxiety and depression: Sesame oil has a high quantity of tyrosine which is an amino acid. Tyrosine releases serotonin in the brain which boosts a person's mood by flooding the body with enzymes and hormones that make a person feel happy. This further ensures that a person overcomes anxiety and depression.
- Improves oral health: Sesame oil has anti- bacterial properties that promotes and improves dental health. Sesame oil is used for oil pulling which is a method of cleansing the mouth by putting oil in the mouth, swishing it all around and then spitting it. Doing so with sesame oil whitens the teeth, lowers dental plaque and also removes other harmful substances from the mouth that can lead to various health problems.
- Reduces inflammation: Sesame oil is a rich source of copper which is known to be a natural anti- inflammatory substance. Consuming sesame oil reduces inflammation and discomfort caused by problems like arthritis ad gout. The use of sesame oil also reduces swelling of joints and strengthens the muscles, bones and blood vessels and thus protects the body from painful inflammation.
- Protects against DNA damage: Sesame oil contains sesamol that protects against DNA damage caused by radiations. Sesamol protects the intestines and the spleen from damage caused by radiations and thus improves the longevity.
Prevents diabetes: Consuming sesame oil lowers blood pressure as well as sugar levels in the blood. The nutrients and minerals present in sesame oil improve the effectiveness of drugs that are used to treat diabetes.