Image Source: Feminiya
Apricots are small sized fruits. They are summer fruits but available in winter too. They are eaten ripe as well as dried. Dried canned apricots are a favourite among most people these days. There are easily available online. Both ripe and dry apricots have high nutritional value.
Nutrient values of apricots in a glimpse- every 100g of apricot contains
- 12% of Vitamin A and C
- 6% of Potassium
- 48 Kcal
The low calories make it a low fat fruit great for those who want to gain nutrients without any weight gain.
- Ophthalmic Health - Apricots are great for the eyes. They have the capacity to fight various eye related problems. Apricot in daily diet helps fight Macular degeneration. It is an age related eye sight problem. It is the loss of sight in aged people. Apricots help in making the optic nerves stronger. Carotenoids, Vitamin A and Beta Carotene help in fighting Neovascular ARMD. Vitamin A also prevents loss of peripheral vision. Apricots are great for drying of eyes also.
- Rich antioxidant content - Apricots are rich in anti oxidants. Antioxidants are very useful for the body. They help in removal of toxins from the body. Toxins in the body are free radicals which can be removed by intake of these anti oxidant rich fruits. Free radicals are harmful. They damage cells therefore it important for apricots to remove them. Vitamin A is also a source of anti oxidants. They help in cell development. Anti oxidants also strengthen the immune system.
- Fibres - Apricots contain special kinds of fibres. Fibres itself are very useful. They aggravate the absorption power of nutrients. They also break down the fatty acids and improve bowel movement in the body. Fibres also prevent gastrointestinal problems. They fight constipation and piles.
- Healthy heart - Apricots has fibres. Fibres have various uses. Apricot fibres reduce the bad cholesterol reducing the risk of heart diseases and increase the good cholesterol which is needed by the body. Potassium is needed for heart health. They maintain electrolyte balance.
- Pregnancy - Apricots are rich in iron and calcium along with fibres. Iron and calcium are important for the development of foetus, while fibres prevent constipation during pregnancy.
Apricots are useful for the skin too. There are various organic apricot products like apricot oil, scrub and creams which are available. Click here for a huge range of apricot products.