Image Source: Gymaholic
Nutrition bars, we can say have revolutionized customized food so much that many people actually consider shifting to an entirely nutrition bar program just because it is easy and convenient. There comes the wisdom in the ancient Indian saying anything in excess even Amrit (Drink Of The Gods) is toxic. The same applies for nutrition bars.
They are good when you want to have something, but you have no time or as a snack during a workout or track. They are brilliant if you substitute them for all the candies and cold drinks that you have. But completely substituting your meal with nutrition bars is a very dumb move. This is because even the best nutrition bar brands cannot include every nutrient that you get from a wholesome diet. So here is an easy checklist to how you should have nutrition bars to make the most out of it.
Eating Nutrition Bars The Right Way:
- Watch The Calories: Now if weight loss is your aim then go for nutrition bars that are low in calories and carbohydrates. But if you are using nutrition bars as a source of energy for let's say endurance training then having bars high on calories and carbs is advised so that your body doesn't run out of fuel while training.
- Fat: Always check on the fat content. Always see to it that you choose bars that have less than 5% fats in it.
- Fibers: See to it that you choose a nutritional bar that is high in fiber content, say 4-5 grams so that you gain on your daily fiber intake.
- Meal Replacement Bars: Well, these meal replacement bars are slightly different from nutrition bars that act as energy bars or protein bars or snack bars. They are larger, more wholesome as in they include a multitude of ingredients so as to be an ideal substitute for an entire meal. So when you choose this, select a bar that has about 15 or more grams of protein, along with fiber, and is also fortified with about 35% of the recommended dietary allowance for vitamins and minerals.
- Excess Vitamins And Minerals: These products are fortified with vitamins and minerals. So if you have multiple bars a day, and on top of that also have multi vitamin tablets that could lead to a probable vitamin overdose and that is not desirable.
- Provide Blood Sugar And Restore Glycogen Levels: They act as an immediate blood sugar level stabilizer for endurance athletes and also help replace the glycogen levels in the liver.
Now if you are a busy person and have no time to think about food, nutrition bars can help you a lot but that being said there is never really a substitute for a wholesome, balanced diet. To view some of our nutrition bar products click here.