Holy Basil or more commonly known as Tulsi, is often called the 'Queen of Herbs' for its incredible healing and health enhancing benefits. The tulsi plant was discovered over 5000 years ago and generations have placed their trust on the health benefits of consuming tulsi. Because of the significant benefits of Tulsi Tea, it is now widely known not only in India but also in the Western World. Several studies around the world have consistently identified the therapeutic powers of Tulsi. The health benefits of tulsi are due to the active ingredient, Eugenol present in the leaves. It also contains ursolic acid and carvacrol, both of which have anti-microbial properties. Tulsi tea is rich in anti-oxidants, which help the body fight free radicals that are responsible for causing various chronic degenerative diseases.
- Tulsi tea helps maintain heart health: Tulsi tea is abundant in magnesium, which is a vital nutrient required for the prevention and control of heart diseases. Regular intake of holy basil tea has been known to reduce cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure. The magnesium in holy basil helps our blood vessels work properly. It prevents deposition of cholesterol and promotes free flow of blood, and also reduces the risk of atherosclerosis. Other antioxidants found in this herb protect the heart from free radical damage.
- Tulsi tea can cure mild fever: Due to its antimicrobial properties, tulsi tea can be used in treating mild fever conditions, and helps speed up recovery from major infectious fevers like dengue and malaria. When fever occurs as a result of infection caused by bacteria, fungus and protozoa, treating the infection with regular intake of tulsi tea and rest alone can effectively bring down the fever. However, in the case of high fever, medical treatment should be sought.
- Tulsi tea can help you relax and fight stress: Tulsi helps in maintaining the normal levels of cortisol hormone in the body, which is also known as the stress hormone. High levels of cortisol make you feel stressed out and anxious. Therefore, by lowering cortisol levels, tulsi acts a natural anti-stress healer. Also, tulsi contains anti-stress agents that help in soothing the nerves, fighting free radicals and regulating blood flow in the body.
- Tulsi tea has respiratory benefits: Regular intake of Tulsi tea can help fight several respiratory illnesses ranging from mild colds and coughs to even bronchitis and asthma. Tulsi contains essential oils such as camphene, eugenol and cineole that help in relieving congestion. This herbal tea is loaded with anti-bacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can help in fighting infections as well as inflammations and allergies of respiratory tract.
- Tulsi tea promotes dental and oral health: Tulsi has excellent benefits in promoting dental and oral health. As it contains antimicrobial properties, the compounds in holy basil tea help fight germs and bacteria in the oral cavity. It also prevents bad breath and acts as a mouth freshener. It is also found to be useful in other dental and oral conditions such as pyorrhea, mouth ulcers and oral cancer.
- Tulsi tea can complement your weight loss plan: This herbal beverage works by increasing your metabolism, which in turn helps in accelerating fat burning process. It provides a healthy and natural way to lose weight.
- Tulsi tea can incredibly enhance you skin and hair health: Enriched with anti-oxidants and other nutrients, tulsi tea is very beneficial for maintaining beautiful and healthy skin. With age, our body’s ability to fight free radicals decreases, and as a result, we start noticing various age related signs on our skin. However, the antioxidants or polyphenols present in herbal Tulsi tea help in fighting these radicals and delaying the signs of aging. So, just one cup of holy basil tea can help you maintain your beauty
Tulsi tea can heal a number of health problems. To know more about the therapeutic powers of Tulsi, click here.