Ginger is perhaps the most common kitchen ingredient which is added to a wide range of dishes and cuisines for its aroma and flavor. But this small kitchen ingredient has also been used since thousands of years for its medicinal properties. Ginger is a power house of nutrient and contains vitamins A, C, E and B complex. In addition, ginger also contains several important minerals like magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, potassium, iron, calcium and beta-carotene. These nutrients give ginger its various health benefiting properties. One of the most common uses of ginger is in tea that we drink. Today, organic ginger tea is one of the most consumed tea varieties across the world because of the abundant health benefits it has to offer.
Organic Ginger Tea- Health Benefits
- Improves blood circulation: The consumption of ginger tea improves blood circulation in the body and ensures optimum health. Ginger tea contains compounds like gingerols and zingerone that have a warming effect on the body and improve circulation of blood. With better blood circulation, the body gets the required nutrients in an effective manner. This further promotes cell growth and efficient function of the body organs. Ginger tea also contains amino acids improve circulation of blood to the heart and keep the heart healthy.
- Relieves pain: Ginger tea contains gingerols which are anti-inflammatory compounds. The consumption of ginger tea blocks the production of COX-2 which is a chemical that induces pain in the body. Thus ginger tea not only reduces inflammation but also helps in relieving muscle and joint pains. Ginger tea is also effective in relieving pain associated with gout, arthritis and osteoarthritis. Ginger tea can also help relive migraine as it blocks prostaglandins which are chemicals that cause pain and inflammation in the blood vessels of the brain resulting in severe headaches.
- Eases menstrual discomfort: For women, ginger tea is really helpful as it helps to ease discomforts associated with menstruation. Ginger tea helps to relieve pain and relax muscles and thus helps to relieve menstrual cramps. Ginger tea is also used as an effective remedy for premenstrual syndrome. Women who have irregular periods can consume ginger tea for a better menstrual cycle.
- Boosts immunity: Ginger tea contains many antioxidants that boost the immune system. The warm nature of ginger tea helps to remove toxins from the body. Apart from this, ginger tea has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help the body fight infections and diseases effectively. The presence of magnesium, zinc and chromium further add to immunity levels in the body.
- Relives stomach disorders: Ginger tea is an effective remedy for treating nausea and stomach disorders. Ginger tea contains phenol compounds and volatile oils that influence the stomach and the intestines. Ginger tea helps in fighting bacteria that cause stomach disorders like diarrhea, indigestion, gas, bloating and stomach pain and so helps one get relief from these.
- Fights respiratory disorders: Ginger tea has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory properties that boost the immune system and helps it to fight viral and bacterial infections that affect the respiratory system. Ginger tea helps to fight common cold, influenza and other allergies. Ginger tea is also a great remedy for asthma as it reduces inflammation of the air passages and also inhibits their contraction, providing relief to asthma patients. Ginger tea also helps to relieve sore throats and headaches which are the most common symptoms of respiratory disorders.
- Reduces cholesterol levels: Ginger tea helps to maintain cholesterol levels. It helps in lowering high cholesterol levels as it helps in the secretion of bile acids. Ginger tea also contains several antioxidants that prevent oxidation of the good cholesterol in the body.
- Improves metabolism: Ginger tea improves the metabolism of the various nutrients in the body because of its various properties and the compounds it contains. It also helps in metabolizing fats in a better manner and thus helps in weight loss.
- Improves dental health: Ginger tea helps to prevent plaque formation in the gums and teeth and prevents teeth from decaying because of the various antioxidants and compounds it contains. Ginger tea also helps to fight bad breath and improves dental health.
Consuming too much organic ginger tea may not be good for health and may cause nausea, vomiting and even insomnia. Since ginger reacts with blood thinning drugs, consuming too much organic ginger tea can be harmful.