Organic honey is honey in the purest form. Organic honey is fast replacing commercial honey and more and more people are switching to using organic honey. Organic honey is the purest form of honey which is produced by honeybees from concentrated nectar of flowers. Organic honey is unprocessed, unheated and unpasteurized form of honey which also means that it has all its natural nutrients intact. This is as opposed to commercial honey which is heated as well as pasteurized. Commercial honey has no enzymes, vitamins and minerals which are essential for the health and this is one of the main reasons why organic honey is being used instead of commercial honey.
During the production of organic honey, several standards and conditions have to be met. Farming of organic honey also needs to be done with care to ensure that no chemicals or antibiotics are used in the hives wherein bees produce honey. Organic honey also has to be tested not to contain any pollutants or pesticides. Since organic honey has all its natural ingredients intact, it also tastes better than the other honey which is available.
What does organic honey contain?
Organic honey is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains a wide range of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, phytonutrients and several other nutritional compounds. But what make organic honey different from commercial honey is the two key beneficial components: bee pollen and propolis. Bee pollen is a super nutritious compound that contains all essential nutrients which are required by the human body. These include vitamins, minerals, proteins, beneficial fatty acids, carotenoids and bioflavonoids which have anti- viral and anti- bacterial properties. Bee pollen also promotes cardiovascular health. Propolis has a large number of health benefits. It has anti- viral, anti- fungal, anti- bacterial as well as anti- inflammatory properties. Propolis also possesses cancer preventing and anti- tumour properties.
Health benefits of organic honey
- Antioxidant properties: Organic honey contains antioxidants called phenolic compounds. These antioxidants fight the free radicals that are responsible for cell damage. The free radicals may also lead to the development of heart diseases and even cancer. The phenolic compounds in organic honey protect from heart diseases as well as cancer.
- Antibacterial and anti- fungal properties: Organic honey contains hydrogen peroxide, a natural antiseptic which gives the honey its antibacterial and anti- fungal properties. Organic honey not only cures infections but also prevents the body from catching infections.
- Heals wounds: Organic honey is a natural germ killer. In addition, it contains hydrogen peroxide which kills bacteria that cause infections in the wound and this help heal the wounds effectively.
- Promotes overall health: Organic honey contains phytonutrients which are antioxidants and have anti- inflammatory properties thus promoting the overall health.
- Treats digestive problems: Organic honey is said to contain compounds and have properties that help to cure digestive problems. Stomach aches, diarrhoea and digestive tract infections are problems that can effectively treated by organic honey. Ulcers in the stomach are treated by organic honey.
- Cures cold and soothes sore throat: Organic honey contains antioxidants and compounds that are cough suppressants. Taking honey with hot tea and lemon is a perfect remedy for cold and sore throat.
- Boosts immunity: Organic honey with its antibacterial and anti- viral properties boosts the immune system and makes it stronger to fight against diseases that are harmful for the body.
- Fight cancer: Organic honey has anti- inflammatory properties and is rich in a wide range of antioxidants. Antioxidants fight the free radicals in the body that cause cell damage. Thus organic honey prevents the cells from damage and also inhibits the production of cancerous cells in the body.
- Increases stamina: Organic honey is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It also provides easily absorbed carbohydrates, natural glucose and sucrose, each of which helps in boosting the stamina and providing extra and instantaneous energy to the body. Organic honey is therefore recommended for athletes as well.
- Improves skin health: Organic honey contains vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are essentially required by the body to maintain a healthy skin. Using organic honey in homemade skin care packs and masks helps to keep many skin diseases at bay. Organic honey is also an effective treatment for acne and pimples.