Image Source: Ecobiota
Organic sunflower oil is oil extracted from the seeds of the sunflower. Organic sunflower oil is free from all types of chemicals and additives and is therefore considered safe for ingestion. The popularity of organic sunflower oil is fast growing because of the various health benefits associated with it. There are several health benefits of sunflower seed oil which can be attributed to the healthy fatty acid content of the oil. Sunflower oil contains linoleic, palmitic, stearic and oleic acids which are fatty acids that promote the overall health of a person. Organic sunflower oil also contains vitamin E and several anti-oxidants that help to keep the body healthy and free from ailments. The benefits of sunflower oil for cooking can be attributed to the polyunsaturated fatty acid content of the oil.
The following are the several health benefits of sunflower seed oil:
- Lowers cholesterol: Sunflower oil contains good fatty acids and no saturated fats. It also contains lecithin which is a compound that lowers the cholesterol levels. Lecithin sticks to the cell and nerve endings and thus prevents cholesterol and fats from sticking to these walls thereby maintaining a balance in the cholesterol levels.
- Promotes heart health: Since the fatty acid content of organic sunflower oil helps to keep the cholesterol levels in check, it prevents the arteries and other blood vessels from getting blocked. This further reduces the risk of heart attacks and heart strokes thereby promoting the heart health. The use of sunflower oil can therefore prevent several cardiovascular diseases.
- Provides energy: Organic sunflower oil is a great energy booster. The good fatty acids in the sunflower oil provide instant energy to the body and keep one active for a longer time periods.
- Promotes skin health: Sunflower oil is considered very beneficial for the skin. Sunflower oil contains vitamin E and several anti-oxidants that can prevent the damage and degeneration of the skin cells. The various anti-oxidants of the sunflower oil fight against free radicals that cause premature aging and lead to the development of wrinkles and dark spots. Sunflower oil helps to regenerate the skin cells and therefore helps to provide a healthier glow to the skin. The Vitamin E in sunflower oil help the skin to retain moisture and keeps it hydrated and moisturised thereby giving the skin a healthier look.
- Boosts the health of the immune system: Sunflower oil is rich is several anti-oxidants, good fatty acids as well as minerals like zinc which help to promote the health of the immune system. Sunflower oil helps to strengthen the immune system which further ensures healing of wounds and injuries and also prevents the body from several types of ailments and diseases.
- Prevents cancer: Sunflower oil can also help to prevent cancers of several types. Organic sunflower oil contains selenium which prevents cancers like lung cancer and skin cancer, sunflower oil is also rich in Vitamin A and carotenoids which prevents the body from uterine cancer as well. In addition, the rich anti-oxidant content of sunflower oil helps to fight the free radicals that cause degeneration of cells and therefore inhibits the growth of cancerous cells. Sunflower oil is quite effective in preventing colon cancer.
- Repairs body: Sunflower oil is a rich source of proteins which are essential for the repair of the damaged cells and tissues. Proteins help in building new cells and tissues and also help in the production of hormones and enzymes that help in revitalizing the body. Organic sunflower oil also contains high amount of folic acid which helps in the generation of new blood cells thereby improving the quality as well as circulation of blood in the body.
- Promotes respiratory health: Sunflower oil has anti-inflammatory properties which lowers and prevents asthma attacks and other respiratory problems. Because of the vitamin and fatty acid content of sunflower oil, it helps in reducing inflammation of the respiratory tract thereby preventing several infections in the respiratory system.
For more information on sunflower oil, click here.