Image Source: Today
High blood pressure or hypertension as it is medically known (HTN) is a highly dangerous condition prevalent in most adults. It can be life threatening if it is not treated or handled carefully. High blood pressure is when your blood pressure is over 140 over 90 mmHG which is very risky as it makes the hard pump more blood, faster which in turn makes the arteries tighten, also known as atherosclerosis. Hypertension can also lead to other diseases such as heart attack, stroke, heart failure, diabetes, kidney disease and blindness. It does not show symptoms an can occur anytime, thus also called the ‘silent killer’ which is why it is advised to get your blood pressure checked regularly. One of the best and safest ways to take care of high blood pressure is by adopting herbal methods that is by taking certain herbs such as:
- Basil- as an herb, basil not only makes your food more appetizing but is can also help lower high blood pressure. You can infuse basil leaves in your meals such as salad, pasta or soup, also drink it with water and even take it as a seed.
- Cardamom- this herb mainly used in Asian cuisine which comes from India is said to have medicinal effects which help reduce high blood pressure. It can be eaten in the powder form which you can add to many food products such as in soup and can also be eaten regularly in the form of cardamom seeds.
- Flaxseed- it is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and has also been found to be effective in lowering high blood pressure. It acts as an antioxidant and protects the body against atherosclerotic disease by cutting down serum cholesterol. You can choose from a variety of products made from flaxseed but the best choice would be to eat it whole as seeds or you can also crush the seeds and add it to your home cooked meals.
- Cinnamon – another herb which has the power to reduce hypertension is cinnamon. It can just as easily be used in your daily food intake by including it in your food or by just adding it to your regular tea. Its intake has shown to lower blood pressure in people with diabetes.
- Ginger and Garlic- Ginger has shown to lower blood pressure considerably as it helps with better blood circulation and also relaxes the muscles which surround the blood vessels. It can be consumed in many ways such as simply chopped or as a paste to be added to your food or in liquid form as ginger tea. Garlic also similar to ginger has the ability to help reduce high blood pressure by allowing the blood vessels to dilate and ensures blood flow more freely. You can use it in many of your food dishes, yet if the taste is too strong or overpowering; you can roast it then use it or choose to get it in supplement form or as a high blood pressure supplement food.
Now you can use some of these powerful herbs and add it as ingredients to your diet to assist with your high blood pressure. To find similar herbs and herb products, you can click here.