Image Source: Thebumpwa
Ever thought of providing comfort to your wife while expecting a baby? Pregnancy massage is a hands-on massage during or after pregnancy (prenatal or postnatalmassage).A pregnancy massage typically lasts an hour. Some practitioners use a pregnancy massage table specifically designed to accommodate a woman's pregnant belly. Others use specially designed pillows called bolsters to position a woman comfortably on her side. This helps especially during the later stages of pregnancy. Lying on your side is often the most comfortable position.
There can be a lot of benefits of a pregnancy massage some of which are listed as follows:
- Lowers anxiety
- Decreased back and leg pain
- Improves sleep
- Decreased levels of the stress hormone norepinephrine
- Increased levels of the feel-good hormones serotonin and dopamine
- Decreased levels of cortisol, an indicator of stress
- An overall improvement in mood
Is Pregnancy Message Safe?
Some doctors hesitate to advise massage during pregnancy because there is a huge variation in training. Many massage therapists won't give pregnancy massages during the first trimester. The reason is the potential for miscarriage. Some pregnancy massage experts argue that pregnancy massage doesn't, in itself, cause miscarriage, but no research has been done to show a link between a massage and a miscarriage. Because many miscarriages happen in the first trimester, some massage therapists and doctors counsel against first-trimester massage simply to avoid any potential liability issues should a miscarriage occur. It is advisable however to consult your physician before going for a pregnancy massage in any case.
How to massage?
It’s very important to know the right massage technique to perform a massage as a wrong one may cause harm to the mother.
- Pay attention about the floor technique, which is preferable to a mattress because it provides a firmer surface.
- Find about the kneeling technique, which provides support to her belly while relieving pressure.
- Learn about a proper technique to massage the buttocks and the back.
- The mother’s hard working legs needs more attention. Hence it’s important to device a good way for massaging her legs. Gently rubbing the outer part of the legs can be considered a good option.
When to Avoid Pregnancy Massage
There aren’t any scientific guidelines as when to avoid the massage. But it’s always recommended to consult your doctor before performing. The following can be the instances when you should avoid a massage:
- You're experiencing nausea, vomiting, or morning sickness
- You're at high risk of miscarriage
- You have a high-risk pregnancy such as placental abruption (where the placenta slightly detaches from the wall of the uterus) or preterm labor.
Alternatives to pregnancy Massage
- If not a massage, holding your pregnant partner and doing something simple like stroking her scalp can make a huge difference. There is a healing power in touch.
- Another alternative might be taking a walk together as walking is probably the best activity to keep circulation going, while still being able to have some quality time together and chatting.
For more info, visit Joy by Nature or click here.